Monday, August 29, 2005

Umbrellas, Daggers, Olives, Oh My!

When you start saying things like "There's not enough stomach in my food", you know you've had a leetle too much to drink. Especially if it's only been three martinis later.

So it's Saturday and citrusboy, Carsin O'Genic, Crys, and I have decided we need to celebrate my birthday with, what else, but sushi and martinis.

But first the extra-nasty, it's-the-icing-that-counts Safeway cake.
I decided to forego a really yummy almond meringue cake and, at my request, got this mess. Think what you want, but I heart icing!

After I licked most of the flowers off the cake, we decided it was time to do some drinking. As we don't own a bodega, we were forced (yes, forced) to go to the martini bar to get our drunken kicks.
New Homeowner was kind enough to send me a birthday card, complete with a drinks umbrella. She thought that a martini with an umbrella in it would rock. She was right. So cheers, NH!
And look, there's even a matching pink dagger through the olives! Even my martinis match. I am such a loser.

By the way, still sober here. First sentence of post has not been uttered as of yet.
But the best moment of the night came when I remembered all about Soho liqueur. I can't believe I forgot all about it until citrusboy pointed it out at their bar. I tried to get it in Toronto once a long time ago and the people at the store looked at me like I was mentally unstable (which may be a true fact, but asking for booze doesn't make one so, does it?). They hauled out this book with a list of all their products and made me find it. So when I actually found what I was looking for, they were baffled and thought "This shit totally exists?". Then they made up some stuff about it being out of stock or something. Idiots. So anyway, I got a Lychee Martini. It has been added into my permanent martini rotation. Score one, Winnipeg!
Speaking of, not quite so sober anymore. Sentence has definitely been uddered. I mean, uttered. This is around the 10th martini mark.
And apparently neither was Carsin O'Genic, as he attempted to eat a huge wasabi ball topped with ginger.
The end result was not pretty. So not pretty in fact, that I won't subject you to the pictures I got of the aftermath.

After we had drunk enough (enough?!?) we were going to go to a club, but the music they were playing was horrible. Horrifying. Horrendous. Need I go on? So we ended up at Baked. I really have no idea how. I tried to get my almond meringue then but they were all out. Damn! So I got a caramel cheesecake. Not bad. And some of citrusboy's club sandwich. Yum, greasy bacon. Does a drunk good!

We stumbled home and I passed right out. Got up the next morning and felt perfectly fine. Yeah, I still got it!

1 comment:

New Homeowner said...

sounds like fun, sorry I had to miss it! Good to see that the umbrella came in handy! We got pleasantly toasted in your honour though.

I'm now in booze & cake detox.