Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Child's Play

So my mother calls me the other day and if we all remember my mother, we will all immediately realize that this could not possibly have gone well.

Now I've always thought I've been lucky enough to escape the familial pressure to squeeze out a couple of puppies as soon as I got married. Everybody around me is either having kids or being harangued every five minutes as to why they don't have 20 yet. I mean, my mother loves kids. She loves them so much she would eat them up with a spoon if she could, so I've been a little suspicious as to why she's kept silent for a whole entire year. Then the phone call came. And I could stop wondering.

My mother has a plan for me. Apparently the almost 10 years I have spent in school will be for naught. As soon as I graduate I am to produce the first grandchild. Shudder. So I point out the obvious (to me) fact of "why bother getting a degree then?" and she says I can't have children without a degree. Interesting little tidbit of information that's completely new to me. I wonder why the very bright people at University Marketing don't put that in the brochure? ATTENTION ALL POTENTIAL MOTHERS: You cannot reproduce until you graduate from this university (and that's not the School of Hard Knocks).

So then, in my feeble defense, I say "Well, I could just have kids now, since I won' be able to put my degree to any use after I start squeezing them out" and her response is "I'll look after them and you can work". Good god woman! The lengths she will go to.

And then she pins me with the very frightful statement of: Haven't you and citrusboy discussed this? Well, truthfully, we have. And quite truthfully, we don't really want kids because we're selfish bastards. I tell her I might consider adoption, because, well, I might and the fit she blows is worthy of Mount Vesuvius. I refuse to write down the things she said about adopted children because it's just not very nice. Frankly, I'm quite horrified, but there's no point in my blowing a steamy fit as well.

She goes on to tell me a life without children is tedious, unhappy, fruitless, miserable, and in general, just plain old stinking bad. I try and say I have no maternal instincts, that I just don't care enough, and I just don't see it. Maybe, one day, when I'm ninety, I will have realized the folly of my way, but not right now.

And then - a miracle happens. The phone cuts out. Seriously, it does. I am saved because I know she won't continue the conversation when next we speak.

So, thank you MTS. Even though you're one step above inept most of the time, this time you rock!

6 comments:

New Homeowner said...

Poor Damsel. It sucks. At least she didn't call while I was visiting - chances are that you would have been intoxicated, and it wouldn't have gone very well.

In a related idea, I think that University Marketing Departments should also more widely publish the high number of graduates who marry someone they met in school. You know, the good old 'get an education so that you can catch a husband' trick?

Anonymous said...

Oh so many things Winnipeg
Damsel!

I saw your name as I also
read Madman's blog (how
can you not?)

I don't blog YET, but Winnipeg Damsel
caught my eye - why ?
I'm a transplanted Torontonian here in Winnipeg with you.(you know what I mean - I'm in
the same city).

Nice mosquitos, don't you think?

However, I was very impressed that you took
that picture of the sunset.

I can't tell you how many
times I used to compare Toronto to Winnipeg, and
feel like I was being
punished ..lol

Anyway, bottom line - when
you mentioned Fran's - I just had to write - there's been a few times
that I wanted to say Hello,
welcome to Hell (j/k)

To tell you the truth, (because you asked)

I have NEVER, ever got used to the winters here,
and I won't. Instead I
will hope to leave Winnipeg
every winter I can, and
come back for mosquito season. I mean, summer.

I won't take up more time,
other than to tell you,
that it is SOOO hard to
change your attitude. My goodness, -at my class reunion in Mississauga,
over l000 people, and I am
not kidding you, could not
believe that I ended up
here in Winnipeg. Half
of them said - 'Is that in Saskatchewan'?

Good ol' Toronto - Yonge
and Eglinton, and then
Rosedale were my homes,after growing up in
Mississauga - Hope this is not too much info.

Yes, I miss it, as I am sure you do too. You just
got here.

I realized very quickly
that there were plenty
of business opportunities
here - Is Toby's still
at Yonge/Eg?

Ok, this would have been in email. I do have a tendency to live up to
my Chatty Cathi name,
and I know that I don't
have the blog etiquette
down yet, however, I truly
hope that you can appreciate many more
sunsets - oh yes, and
the pierogies at
Alicia's :)

One more thing, I don't
remember anyone in my years in Toronto ask
me my heritage.

But, c'mon WD, you enjoyed
those perogies.They are in
your blood! That's Winterpeg!

That's a start.

Sorry for the long post,
but I don't have an email
address.

Hope to stop by again soon
and see what's up next.

Psst - I don't know if you
and your hubby are thinking
about real estate, but I
can buy 3 houses here, for
the price of my l house in
Toronto, and yes, 2 are rented out. :) for the future!!!

Sorry about the length.
I wish you a happier transition - mine took way
too long! And about the kids, good thing that MTS
didn't disappoint this time.

Definitely have to join
this blogging community soon.

'til then,
I'll drop in again. Hopefully you will experience more of those
sunsets with your hubby.

Anonymous said...

Wow - I was going to edit
that last post, so it
wasn't sooooo long,
but I hit publish/instead
of preview.

Duh me. Must be the 35
bites I got just before
I saw the warnings about
West Nile in my own community.

Cathi - out :)

Winnipeg Damsel said...

Welcome to Hell indeed Cathi! And I'm definitely being punished for some past sins :|

I grew up in Mississauga too! What a small world!!

After the 3rd fogging in our area the skeeters are finally down to a minimum. Thank god.

I hate hate hate any kind of winter, but I must say I kind of "enjoy" the winters here. When I say enjoy, I mean I think they're slightly less painful than the ones in TO. In TO they're bone-chilling cold, while here not so much with the bone-chilling aspect. Just freakin' cold.

You gotta start blogging - nobody believes me about this hell-hole :)

Winnipeg Damsel said...

New, isn't that why we all went to Uni? Isn't that why I'm still there?
Oh right, already married. Hmm, something went awry in that marketing scheme.

Now to ponder why I'm really in school.

Just Say No said...

Finding a mate at university. They don't nickname MBA the MRS degree for nothing!