Thursday, June 30, 2005

Iridescent, like a dragonfly

Once upon a time, long, long ago, in a place far, far away... No, no, but seriously, about ten years ago in Toronto, I walked into Trade Secrets in the Eaton Centre, looking for a particular kind of nailpolish. I had gotten a manicure with this really funky blue iridescent polish a while ago and wanted the same colour for myself. So, innocently enough, I ask the sales girl if they have any such animal, with an iridescent sheen to it.

She looks at me like I'm speaking Ancient Greek and says "What's that [iridescent] mean?"

I hope I don't sound like a snob but I don't think that's a difficult word that only thems from high-society know. I was momentarily startled; my mouth hung open in horror until my friend jabbed me with her elbow and I started to try and explain all about the magic of iridescence.

Of course I sounded like an idiot and she definitely thought I was an idiot who didn't know her nailpolish from her haircolour. I got myself away in one physical piece but with a slightly shattered mind. I never got up the nerve to ask for an iridescent nailpolish again.

Until now. And I didn't even have to ask anybody, making a fool of myself in the process. In my quest to gain Shoppers' Drug Mart points, I found this polish. Isn't it awesome? I got one in pink too because who knows when the next time I'll be able to find them again may be.


Props to you, Winnipeg!

2 comments:

New Homeowner said...

Was I the one shopping with you? I can't remember anymore...

Winnipeg Damsel said...

Yup, it was you indeed...