Thursday, May 05, 2005

Why Men Love Bitches

So I bought this book by Sherry Argov for the amusement I thought it would contain as recommended by several friends. Never did I dream that I would so vehemently want to hurl a book out the window (but, alas, I live on the ground floor and much to my dismay it would not result in any serious injury) or try to maim it until it died a slow and painful death (and I'm a great book lover who is offended by the slightest crease, so this speaks volumes).

Let's go back to a time when men were coddled and treated like children; praised for picking up the mail from the mailbox right outside the door; lavished with love when a shelf was hung at a 45 degree angle; and my personal favourite: men handing their paycheck over to the women at the end of a hard fortnight so she could make sure he got paid the right amount. Does this really happen? Seriously? If it does, I think my marriage is doomed and my husband is gonna kick my ass when he gets home. No dinner on the table. His dirty clothes are still in the pile where he left them. I expect *gasp* him to pick up the mail since he passes the mailbox on his way in. I laugh when he tries to hang something up. And I sure as hell don't know what his paycheck looks like.

And please, correct me if I'm wrong, but how is any of that being a bitch? It seems to me like it has doormat stamped all over it!

Hey Sherry, maybe a better title would have been "Why Men Love Doormats". Though the subtitle of this book is in fact "From Doormat to Dreamgirl - A Woman's Guide to Holding Her Own in a Relationship" I think she's got it backwards. It should, if one wants to be truthful to their faithful readers, read: From Dreamgirl to Doormat - A Woman's Guide in 5 Easy Steps to Crapping Out in a Relationship.

*Sigh* I blame Winnipeg and its infinitely long bus rides that made me pick this book up and begin reading it. And finish reading it I shall, even if it kills me. Which it just may. Would anyone notice if a person died on Winnipeg Transit?

No comments: