Thursday, May 19, 2005

Hell Hath No...Well, Anything, Like the Winnipeg Library

I ventured out today with citrusboy to collect my aforementioned Skipping Girl purse from the post office. After giving me a hard time yesterday, the woman behind the counter takes one look at citrusboy, hands him the package, tell him she doesn't need to see any ID 'cause she remembers him, and waves him off. Honestly. AS IF! What am I? Yesterday's leftover turkey? Why the hell doesn't she remember me? I've been there just as often! I'm telling you, this city is out to get me.

Then we decide to take a painful (they're always painful, so don't ask) bus ride down to Osborne Village (here on in known as The Village (no jokes, please - this is what they call it)) which masquerades as the downtown of Winnipeg. I wanted to eat lunch at the Spicy Noodle House so I twisted citrusboy's rubber arm and I got my soup. Best spicy peanut noodle soup and steamed barbecued pork buns ever! So good. The martini bar wasn't open yet so I couldn't get my extra-dirty gin martini. Too bad. I think I may just buy some gin and make 'em at home. I'm sure citrusboy will love that. Honeeeeeeery, yoooooouu're hooooorme alrrrrreaaaady???? Nothing crazy happened during lunch, so Winnipeg gets a point.

After that, I hopped on a bus to go to the library for the first time in this city and get me a library card. The library. Wow. No, no, really. Wow. It's the size of my apartment. Not including the bedrooms. Wow. There are, like, 20 libraries in Winnipeg and they're all the size of a postage stamp. Combined. And to top it all off, all the books are hardcover. Every single last one. I HATE hardcover. Bulky. Heavy. Just plain annoying. You try lugging a 10 lb book with you everywhere on the bus; you'd despise them too. Winnipeg just lost its lone point. But thank god I had my Skipping Girl bag. Handy dandy thing it is indeed.

My arms would have fallen off if I had to carry those hardcovers all the way home.

Now, there is an alleged revamped library opening up downtown that is going to be ginormous with lots of non-hardcover books. I say alleged, since they've been saying it's going to open next month for the last nine months. Winnipeg down one point.

Eventually I dragged my sorry ass home, with my sorry ass pile of hardcover books (which I only kinda wanted to read but had no choice as THEY HAVE NOTHING ELSE). And the bus driver asks me if I'm sure I want to go west. Yes I'm sure. But I go east later. I don't want to go east, I want to go west. Are you sure? Of course I'm sure! I know where I live! Man, this city get weirder by the minute.

No comments: