Monday, May 30, 2005

Timmy's vs Starbucks: Round One

Yesterday morning I had a craving for a Timmy's chocolate danish. The Head got me addicted to them. Bastard! So off we went to the Tim Hortons down the street. Seems everybody in the North End had the same idea, even though it was raining (seems even the rain won't keep people from enjoying a double double): the line went right out the door and around the corner. Now personally I thought that with the advent of a Starbucks up the street the line would get smaller. Boy was I wrong! Call me stupid and colour me whatever the hell colour you want! Gullibility is not for the faint of heart.

So citrusboy, exasperated by my need for the awesomely delicious chocolate danish, gives me the look of sexual favours on the horizon for him and we get into line. An older gentleman gets into line behind us and immediately starts talking to me.

Sidenote
: Now, all you Torontonians, don't be alarmed. This is what people do here. They talk to everyone, everywhere, all the time. They never stop. They talk to me at bus stops. They talk to me on the bus, while I'm trying to read. They talk to me as I'm walking, very quickly I might add, home before I freeze my ass off. And they talk to me as I'm shopping for tampons. Seriously. At first I was freaked out; now I just smile and nod.

Anyway, the man started going on about how the whole of North Kildonan must be here and damn if he wasn't right! Why aren't people going to the Starbucks? It's the same distance, just the other way for goodness sakes! Don't get me wrong, I have actually seen people jump out of taxis in the morning and run into Starbucks, but never have I seen a line. Well, maybe five people, tops. But not twenty-five people! That's just insanity.

After about a half hour wait in the crazy line, I get my danish and chamomile tea. By this point citrusboy is hungry again so he gets a bagel with cream cheese. We sit down and stay seated for about forty-five minutes. In all that time, not once did the line get any smaller.

I implore you Winnipeg: go to the freakin' Starbucks. Forget the Timbits and the doughnuts; just get your damn coffee fix there and leave me to my danish! I don't relish the idea of performing freaky favours for citrusboy.

2 comments:

New Homeowner said...

When we were in Ottawa, a radom woman came up to us to ask us to take a picture of her in front of parliament. A stranger! Talking to us! Apparently when you get out of Toronto Canadians are friendly.

Winnipeg Damsel said...

We asked someone to do that here and they looked at us like we were nuts or possibly tourists, but they still did it. Mind you, it was downtown and 2 in the morning....