Saturday, January 28, 2006

My Christmas Story

I guess it's about time I relegated y'all with my Christmas (mis)adventures.

I know, I know. A month too late. I'm the laziest person alive, so shoot me.

Well, for Christmas Eve dinner, I made the traditional Polish Wigilia feast. This included buying an entire fish (traditional Carp, to be exact), descaling it, gutting it, chopping its head off, and cutting it into steaks. Needless to say, I let citrusboy do the nasty bits, but I did manage to descale it, thank you very much.

I would just like to add, that if I was in Toronto, I could by-pass all the nasty bits plus descaling and just buy the carp already done up and ready to fry. But, alas, I am in Winnipeg....

So, anyhoo, we bread and etcetera the durned thing, which happens to look like this:
Tasty, eh?

Final result? Slightly better looking.
I also managed to make, from scratch I might emphasize here, uszka z zurem, which are mushroom-filled dumplings in a ryemeal soup.

The funnest part was the dough. No really, I LOVE struggling with dough that will not stay put. And to top it off, I discovered I did not actually posses a rolling pin. Empty wine bottle to the rescue, it is. Good thing we're guzzling alcoholics.

And do I really have to add that were I in Toronto, I could just buy the dumplings frozen and pop them into a pot, ready to boil? No, I don't think I need to add that. Hmm, seems I already did. Ah well. Thems the breaks.

End result? Very tastey, according to citrusboy.
So good, in fact, that he wants them again next year. I think not.

Next year: frozen salmon steaks and store-bought pierogies. I don't care, it's not worth the aggravation.

Stay tuned for the Kris Kringle fun. ( I know, I know, but I'm L-A-Z-Y. LAZY!)

No comments: